245 years and counting
Happy #independenceday!
The greatest political experiment that has positively impacted and benefited the greatest number of people in history - even with its flaws and detractors - continues unabated.
I originally posted this 8 years ago. I think it's even more relevant today. I hope you read and appreciate:
Happy Independence Day! 245 years, and the greatest democratic and liberty-granting experiment and idea continues. But it's not a foregone conclusion that it will always be thus.
Americans are called to work to keep and defend it: "It is yet to be decided whether the Revolution must ultimately be considered a blessing or a curse; a blessing or a curse, not to the present age alone, for with our fate will the destiny of unborn millions be involved...At this auspicious period, the United States came into existence as a Nation, and if their Citizens should not be completely free and happy, the fault will be entirely their own." - George Washington, 'Circular to the States' (Newburg, New York 1783).
Let's not let down Washington, Jefferson, Lincoln, Roosevelt (both), Martin Luther King, Rosa Parks, and all who have toiled to grant us heritage, including and very importantly, the millions of men and women who have sacrificed blood and time for our benefit.
Be proud and optimistic today! Indeed, pursue the God-given rights of life, liberty and happiness! I think Ben Franklin summed it up best: "The Constitution only gives people the right to pursue happiness. You have to catch it yourself."
Go catch it. 🇺🇸
Comments
Post a Comment